The Great North Swim
- Friday 7th – Sunday 9th June 2019
- Brockhole (previously the location was at Low Wood Bay, however, due to the 10,000 finishers the event has grown dramatically and now needs more space and more car parking!)
- Everyone! With distances from 250m – 10k there is something for the novice swimmer to the seasoned professional. The event is certainly not exclusive to those who train all year round; most people swim go for the atmosphere and because they enjoy the challenge and want to have a good time – especially with the waves doing the half mile!. With plenty of staff in kayaks and speedboats around the course you’re well looked out for if you do have any problems – needless to say if your kids are getting older, could this be a family event…? 35% of people in 2017 were complete beginners in the race! This year you could be part of that too!
- There’s even a team relay and a couple of years ago there was a team representing Park Cliffe who had a great time and last year staff took part too.
- Anybody from age 8 and older can participate – and no age limit for those old timers!
- Registration is open now so book your place quick!
Is 2019 your year for a spot of open water swimming?
Do you have to swim?
- No! The event welcomes spectators of family and friends to cheer on the swimmers and whilst you’re out of the water there’s plenty of entertainment, live acoustic music, food carts and even a brewery tent. To have a look at last year’s antics check out the #greatnorthswim2018 and the Great North Swim website.
- There is always the opportunity to volunteer for a day over the weekend where you could be; handing out medals at the finishing line, distributing swimming caps for the waves, taking swimmers times and much more – you don’t need any experience and can soak up the atmosphere that the calibre of this event generates. I know there’s nowhere I’d rather be this weekend, so make a trip of it and come up – or down – to join us at the largest open water swim in the North!
How do you get there?
- It’s recommended that if you’re travelling to the Lakes for the Swim to make a weekend of it; there’s so much on offer and fun to be had that it’s well worth it. Transport is put on by the Great North Swim: a park and ride as there is usually traffic along the Lake Road all weekend! By staying for a night or two over the weekend you miss out on all that joyful traffic and can relax and take advantage of the transport on offer!
Grab your goggles and we’ll see you there!